July 2, 2013

DIY: Festive for the 4th!

As someone who loves expressing my creativity, holidays seem like the perfect time to try out DIY projects I've seen throughout the year.  Being original and unique reveals your individuality, and I personally always appreciate a DIY project gone right.

I found this amazing DIY video to help you create some fabulous & festive dip dye shorts for the 4th of July.  Click the YouTube video below for this top-notch tutorial!  You can also see my attempt on these bad boys (and some helpful tips)!  Good luck ladies!

xoxo, Ali

What You'll Need:
- White shorts
- 2 buckets/trays
- Rit Liquid Dye (Cherry Red & Aquamarine - found at your local craft store)
- Salt
- Ziploc bag
- 2 large rubberbands
- A pair of gloves
- Star studs (I bought a pack of 50 1" silver star studs on Kit Kraft - SUPER speedy shipping if you're in California!)
- Scissors



My Tips:
- Once your shorts are completely dry, machine wash cold SEPARATELY!  The red may bleed a little in the wash, but try your best to rinse out all of the dye before hanging to dry.

- When studding your shorts, lay your pattern out before poking through.  Since the studs I purchased had prongs on the back, I recommend going in a circle with your scissors and using the side of the scissors to push the prongs down.  Run your finger over the prongs to make sure nothing is poking.  That would be painful! :)

- Always check for coupons at your local craft stores!  They may even have an app for your phone to redeem at checkout.  I love saving money, and I know you do, too! :)

My Shorts:

No comments:

Post a Comment